Sunday, February 15, 2009

My awesomeness with my car

Late Thursday afternoon, I got out of class and discovered that I had left my car lights on. (This happens occasionally because my car is old, and it doesn't always beep to remind me to turn the lights off when I get out.) I hoped that since I had only been gone an hour and a half the car would still start.

No luck.

So I set out in search of a rescue team.

I tried calling my brother who lives near campus to come jump my car, but he never answers his phone. Then I sat in my car and tried to think of anyone else I knew who lived in Provo and had a car and would be available to come help me: I know no one who fits these qualifications.

So I stood outside--in the snowy cold near-darkness--and waited for some other student to return to their car. And I learned that there is little activity in graduate student parking lot on Thursdays after 4:30. The people that I did see returning to their cars were so far away from me that even if I had sprinted to meet them, they would have been gone by the time I arrived.

Eventually, a male student-type-person came walking toward my section of the parking lot. He was holding keys, so I figured he was going to an actual vehicle and not just passing through. I stopped him, asked if he by chance had jumper cables and could help, and he kindly agreed. Three minutes later I was on my way home.

Saturday morning--like two days later--I went out to my car to go to my cousin's house. I turned the key in the ignition and found that my car was dead. Completely dead. I looked down and noticed that I had left my lights on . . . again.

Fortunately, my dad was home. I told him my car needed to be jumped.

He said, "Wait, didn't your battery just die a few days ago?"

"Yes."

"You really should get that checked. It sounds like your battery has a problem."

"No, dad, it's me. The car battery is fine. It's that car driver that has problems."

3 comments:

Peter and Mandy said...

Hahaha I did that so many times with my first car. It was so embarrassing after awhile. Now I'm thrilled to have a car that beeps when I leave them on.

Joanna said...

Linda! Although my car beeps when the lights are left on, I have had problems with the battery. One time it was on campus...very early in the morning...with no one to help. I found out that if you call campus security, then can come jump it for you. Turns out they are good for something... :) Maybe you should just start driving with no lights on.

Linda said...

Driving without the lights is a good idea--except that it's dark and snowy here all the time. Next time--and I'm pretty sure there will be a next time--I'll try campus police.