Monday, November 17, 2008

I understand that spelling is hard . . .

which is why we have spell check.

Normally, I ignore simple spelling and punctuation mistakes on blogs, online comments and reviews, etc. But sometimes, people are just ridiculous.

A few minutes ago, I was reading user reviews of a pie recipe on FoodNetwork.com. (I love the Food Network, by the way.) Most people gave the Triple Chocolate S'more Pie recipe four or five stars and raved about how easy it was or how much they loved it. But one less enthusiastic reviewer (named "Anonymous) only gave the recipe three stars and wrote, "It's ameture."

I read the comment and said, "What?"

I mean I know what the commenter was trying to write, but Mr. (or Ms.) Anonymous totally failed when they misspelled half the words in the comment. And "amateur" is just one of those words you shouldn't use (in writing) if you don't know how to spell it--I mean it sort of makes you look like . . . an amateur (of the English language and life in general (and computers, since you obviously don't know how to spellcheck)).

Anyway, people are funny--or stupid, take your pick.

4 comments:

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I get annoyed by spelling errors too...and then I usually find some of my own when I was hurrying to post something. I will be extra careful on your blog!

Linda said...

You're totally allowed to misspell words on my blog. (Misspelling in general is not a crime.) I just think it's funny to misspell certain words when you're trying to sound smart.

Peter and Mandy said...

Well we went to colej to lurn all sorts uv good stuf. Mi mum's and dud's munee did me good. I gots me a good job where i git to teeched little children how to reed, rite, spell and numbers and stuff. Hukt on fonix wurkt fir me! (Peter helpt me rite this)

Ethan said...

I dont know what your talking about. Theirs lots of people who know how too spell. Definately are. Spell like the Osmond's.